Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A little rant about the forgotten holiday...THANKSGIVING!!!

I love Thanksgiving--the food, the family, the relatively stress-free day of sitting around eating and talking, and most of all, taking time to think about all that I have to be thankful for.
What I hate about Thanksgiving is that the rest of the world seems to have forgotten it. Halloween and Christmas have completely eclipsed my favorite holiday! (Gasp, did she just say that she had a favorite holiday other than Christmas?! Isn't that against the law or something?!)

I challenge all you readers to take a stand and actually CELEBRATE Thanksgiving this year. I'm not talking about gorging yourselves in a few weeks (that's fine to do, btw); I mean really celebrate being grateful for everything that you and I have.

In our family, every day in November at dinner, we each say something that we're thankful for (no repeats allowed) and we write it on a construction-paper leaf. The leaves are then taped onto our "Thankfulness Tree" (a piece of posterboard with a bare tree drawn on it). On Thanksgiving Day, we read all the leaves. I think it's a great way to really think of all our blessings--having the rule of no repeats makes for creative answers, and I think it helps the kids be happier with what they have, instead of focused on the interminable lists that so many write out for Santa. They also seem to say 'thank you' more often during this time of year and spend time thinking about how to help those in need.

If anyone else has any ideas on great Thanksgiving traditions, or how to help our families be more thankful, please share!

3 comments:

Darcy said...

I have not forgotten Thanksgiving. Even though it's not my favorite holiday, I love to reflect on what I am thankful for, especially the sacrafice early settlers made on our behalf. In fact I bore my testimony on Sunday about the Lord's hand in preparing this land to establish his true Church. One of the steps was the great courage and sacrifice made by the Pilgrams to come across the Atlantic Ocean to an unfamiliar land. The fact that Squanto had earlier been taken to Europe to be sold as a slave and purchased by Monks who taught him and let him go to England so he could eventually make his way back to his homeland. He knew the land and he could speak the language of the newcomers, and help them to survive here. There was certainly no coincidence, and it was purly Divine intervention. All to pave the way for our forefathers, the constitution, freedom of religion and establish the true church on the Earth again.

Bonnie Young said...

Thats a GREAT idea Sonnet, I think we will try this! Thank you for a new tradition.

Ariane said...

I agree! Why is Halloween a bigger deal than Thanksgiving? My neighbors are decorating for Christmas already. I'm glad you are coming to our house to celebrate with us.