Tuesday, November 20, 2007

New Flooring

Yes...another project! I figured since I was finished painting (at least for a while) that I needed something else to do on our house. Because Thanksgiving was only 2 weeks away and my family was coming to eat here, I thought, 'Why not replace the plush carpet in our dining room and the tile in our entryway with laminate wood flooring?' So, that Saturday, I went to the hardware store and bought a sledgehammer to break out the tile. Dale and the kids ripped up the carpet while I was gone. We put goggles on the kids and handed them some hammers and they went to it! They really seemed to enjoy beating the tile to pieces. After they got tired, I broke the tile with the sledgehammer and then Dale tore it all up with the wonderbar. About halfway through breaking the tile, Dale said, "We're not going to finish this today, are we?" He thought we'd be finished by bedtime with taking all the old flooring out and putting in the new laminate! I started laughing and told him it would take a long time. As it ended up, I laid flooring for 4 hours on Saturday and then finished it up off and on all day Monday, so it didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would. I think it turned out rather nice...way better than the plush carpet. I mean, who the heck puts light gray plush in a dining room?! It got very dirty, very easily; plus, it was hard to get up and down from the table because the chairs would get stuck in the carpet.

Now I'm thinking about redoing the entire main floor in this laminate....but I'll save that project for another time. Wonder Woman's had enough for today!

1 comment:

Ariane said...

I didn't know you did that last week. Your house is very cute. Thanks for having us over.