Friday, February 15, 2008

Men and the silly things they do...

At six o'clock this morning, I sent my husband off on a snowshoeing backpacking trip--yes, you read that right; my husband! I'm talking about a man who hates snow, has never been backpacking, or snowshoeing (much less did them at the same time), who never heard of a sterno can until last night when I showed him how to make pigs-in-a-blanket (another thing he'd never heard of), gets lost really easy (if I point out north and ask him which way is east, he can't tell me), and did I mention the hating snow part?! I am so nervous!
He and his two buddies decided this would be a great time of year to go backpacking; personally, I think they spent too much time together and got high off the testosterone fumes, but whatever. Anyway, only one of them has ever actually made a snow cave (oh, yeah; I didn't mention that part; they're sleeping in a snow cave), or has been snowshoeing, or backpacking. Do any of them think there's any problem with this? No way! "If he can do it, I can!"
Ben (the one who's done all these things) almost couldn't go because he couldn't find a babysitter for their two-month-old son (their normal babysitter was sick). Last night at about 8 'o clock, he calls and tells us that he might not be able to make it, but he'll just tell Dale and Kelly (his other buddy) how to get to where they're going. Kelly has watched someone build a snow cave and he's been in the same area (aka: on the same mountain range) that they're planning on hiking, so he figures that's pretty much the same as having done it and been there himself, so no problem! (At this point, I was getting extremely nervous. I mean, I wouldn't mind having my house paid for, but I'd rather have my husband instead of life insurance money.) I told Ben that I'd watch the baby while his wife worked. He thought I was being so benevolent, but the truth is, I was much more comfortable sending my husband out into the wild outdoors with Ben, and the only way he could go was if I watched his kid.
So, now I'm at home taking care of my 4 kids and another one who's two months younger than Elias. I've always wanted twins and today's probably the closest it's gonna get, so I guess I'll see how I would handle it. I don't know who has the greater chance of surviving, me or Dale...I'll let you know about the funeral arrangements as soon as possible! :-)

Update: Dale, et al found a church girls camp (minus the girls) and are staying in one of the cabins overnight instead of a snow cave. (I have no idea if they broke in, or what; Ben's wife just got a short text message and that's all we know) Also, I made it through the day just fine and figure I can handle having twins. I guess all I have to do now is put my order in and wait...

2 comments:

Ariane said...

Holy Cow!It sounds like things are pretty crazy. I hope Dale (and you) make it through the weekend. I just can't picture him with snowshoes and in a snow cave. I'm sure it will be a great learning experience for him. Good luck!

Linda Martineau said...

I always knew Dale had it in him! Go, Dale!

I guess he survived, I haven't heard otherwise.