Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Recipes

I was reading on a friend's blog, (thanks, Darcy) and she suggested that we (the people whose blogs she reads) post a favorite recipe every week so that we can all get new ideas for meals. I thought it was a great idea and have taken it upon myself to spread the word. So, all of you reading this, please post good meal ideas on your blogs, every week, if possible. Then we can all have new, tasty ideas from other busy moms to try out.
For my first, I'm going to post a family favorite. It's the most requested meal from my children--besides cold cereal :-). Oh, by the way; it sounds kinda , well actually, totally weird, but just make them and taste them and you'll be hooked, I promise! (I got this recipe from my sister when she was living in Tennessee--I think it gets it's name from the cornbread and pork and beans)

Tennessee Tacos Tortillas (for lack of a better word):
Make corn bread batter from your favorite recipe, or mix, and add extra milk until it's the consistency of pancake batter.

My corn bread recipe is:
1 c. flour 1 c. milk
1 c. corn meal 1/4 c. oil
1 Tbsp baking powder 2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
(I'm guessing I add about 1/4 c. milk, maybe less, to make right consistency, but I'm not sure).

Pour out on griddle and cook like you would pancakes (6in diameter circles).

Taco Filling:
Brown 1/2 pound of ground beef (or turkey). Add 2 cans of pork and beans and 1 packet of taco seasoning mix. Heat thoroughly.

Serve like Navajo tacos: lay cornbread pancake-tortilla-thing flat on plate, spread filling on, top with shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, whatever else you normally put on tacos. (Eat with fork; don't try to pick up and eat unless you want a big mess!)

Like I said, it sounds really weird, even bordering on gross, but it's really yummy! Also, my kids like to have the leftover cornbread things as pancakes the next day.

2 comments:

Ariane said...

I just wanted to let everyone know this recipe is from the Flake family in Clarksville, TN. That's why they're called Tennessee Tacos.

Darcy said...

That sounds good, and easier than making the fry bread for indian tacos. I would have never thought to use pork and beans in tacos, I'm going to make these this week. Thanks for participating in the blog recipe exchange!